Friday 9 February 2024

Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping

I opened a can of pumpkin to make some waffles the other day. Which made for a tasty breakfast, but left me with a bunch of extra pumpkin purée in the fridge. Luckily this recipe used up almost all of it. Not to mention giving us tasty muffins!



Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping

Slightly adapted from Muffins and Biscuits by Heidi Gibson

Ingredients

Streusel Topping1

  • 2 Tbsp. salted butter2
  • 35g all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. raw pumpkin seeds

Batter

  • 6 Tbsp. salted butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs (or 3 small eggs)
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 350g pumpkin pur&eacte;e
  • 180g all-purpose flour
  • 130g sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt3
  • 2 tsp. mixed spice
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 110g chopped pecans4

Directions

  1. Cut the butter, flour, and sugar together for the streusel.
  2. Mix in the pumpkin seeds and set aside.
  3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a standard (5cm) 12-well muffin tin.
  4. Beat the eggs with the butter, milk, vanilla, and pumpkin.
  5. In a separate bowl, ombine the flour and sugar.
  6. Sift in the baking powder.
  7. Mix in the salt, mixed spice, and ground ginger.
  8. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix with a spatula until almost combined.
  9. Add the pecans and stir to combine.
  10. Divide the batter amongst the muffin wells. (You may have a bit extra.)
  11. Top each muffin with ~1 Tbsp. of streusel topping.
  12. Baked at 180°C (350°F) for 20-24 minutes.
  13. Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
  14. Serve as is or with maple cream cheese.



1 I've scaled the streusel quantities down slightly here since I had a lot left over after topping my muffins with what I felt was a fairly generous quantity. That said, if you would like to try it with the original quantities, you can just bump the butter up to 2 1/2 Tbsp., flour to 45g, sugar to 3 1/2 Tbsp., and pumpkin seeds to 1/4 c. Back
2 I missed that I was supposed to be using salted butter for this and ended up just using unsalted. This was fine, but next time I might add a pinch of salt (maybe 1/8 tsp.) to the streusel topping to make it pop a little more. Back
3 I included the full measure of salt here because I was using unsalted butter. If using salted butter, I would probably either omit or significantly reduce the salt. Back
4 The recipe calls for toasted pecans. I was feeling lazy, so I didn't toast them. I was also a bit short on pecans, so I made up the difference with walnuts. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment