Saturday 17 February 2024

Molasses Cookies

One of the Kidlet's friends came over for dinner the other day and I wanted a dessert to offer for after dinner. These cookies looked pleasingly straight-forward and didn't require me to get any extra ingredients, so they were the winner for the day.

The recipe produced a very soft dough. I guess this is intended, but it caught me a bit off-guard. These are definitely not shape-by-hand cookies and I was glad to have my cookie scoop as it made the job a lot quicker and easier than it would have been otherwise. That said, if you don't have a cookie scoop, two spoons will get the job done. I'm just not quite as efficient with those.



Molasses Cookes

Slightly adapted from Dessert of the Day by Kim Laidlaw

Ingredients

  • 3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 c. molasses
  • 315g all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Tbsp. baking soda1
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice berries, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  2. Cream the butter with the sugar.
  3. Beat in the egg, followed by the molasses.
  4. In a separate bowl, sift the baking soda into the flour.
  5. Mix the ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt into the flour.
  6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until completely combined.
  7. Use a spoon or a cookie scoop to drop balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets ~5cm apart.
  8. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 12-15 minutes.
  9. Let cool on baking sheets for ~5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.



1 As I'm writing this up, I'm realizing that I'm not confident that I actually used baking soda for my cookies. I think I may have absent-mindedly used baking powder instead. Whoops! I'll have to try it again sometime using the proper leavener. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment