Monday 18 September 2023

Zucchini and Red Onion Frittata with Goat Cheese and Mint

I haven't been great at keeping up with posting recipes lately. Heck! I haven't been great at cooking recipes lately! It's been busy and the days have kind of gotten away from me. So, on the one hand, my recipe backlog isn't as long as you might expect considering how many days it's been since the last write-up. But, on the other hand, there've been a lot of last-minute scrambles and emergency fast food dinners lately. (And no bread in the house!) I'm going to try to get back on track, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. But, in the meantime, I figured I could at least catch up on this frittata recipe that I tried out a few days ago.

This is yet another recipe courtesy of The Good Egg. And it made for an excellent way to use up some of our overgrown mint and the zucchinis that I bought during the last grocery shop and whose original purpose I can no longer remember. Great!

Unfortunately, I wasn't that big a fan of the actual frittata. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't great. And there are a lot of great frittata recipes in this book. So I was a bit disappointed that this one fell a bit flat. But at least it bought us a few days of not having to worry about breakfast!

Zucchini and Red Onion Frittata with Goat Cheese and Mint

Slightly adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 450g zucchini1
  • 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
  • 1/3 c. chopped fresh mint
  • 3/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, divided
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. fresh goat cheese2

Directions

  1. Trim each zucchini and quarter them lengthwise, then cut into 1cm slices.
  2. Heat oil over medium heat.
  3. Add the zucchini and onions and cook until zucchini is tender, but not mushy (5-6 minutes).
  4. Add the mint and garlic (if using) and cook for another minute or two.
  5. Add 1/4 tsp. of the salt and ~1/2 the pepper.
  6. Beat the eggs with the milk and remaining salt and pepper.
  7. Reduce heat to medium-low and pour the egg mixture into the pan.
  8. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then gently lift one edge of the frittata to let the raw egg flow under. Repeat at several points around the edge of the pan.
  9. Reduce heat slightly, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes.
  10. Sprinkle with crumbled cheese.
  11. Transfer to broiler and cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes.



1 The original recipe calls for 3-4 "medium" zucchini, but also says that they should come to ~1lb. total. I only had two zucchini -- both of which I would have considered medium-sized -- and they came to just over 1lb. So, I guess, go for smallish zucchini if you can find them, but otherwise just use what you have. Simmons suggests using a variety of colours and I just happened to have one green and one yellow, so that worked out well but, again, use what you have. Back
2 Simmons suggests ricotta salata or a mild feta as possible substitutes here. I used a mix of soft goat cheese and pressed cottage cheese. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment