Sunday 10 September 2023

Sardinian-Style Hard-Boiled Eggs

I desperately need to do a grocery shop but, in the meantime, I've been going through the egg book and the curry book looking for relatively low-effort things that I can make with pantry items. This preparation of hard-boiled eggs caught my eye. Unlike most of the others in the book -- which either require stuffing the eggs or turning them into some sort of egg salad that needs to be served on bread (which we don't have right now) -- this one just has you halve the boiled eggs and then simmer them in a bit of oil and vinegar before topping them with seasoned breadcrumbs. And that is exactly the kind of quick and easy recipe that I've been looking for!



Sardinian-Style Hard-Boiled Eggs

Slightly adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 2-4 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar1
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 6 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
  • 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
  • 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning (optional)
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 c. panko breadcrumbs2
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Combine the oil, vinegar, and salt in a pan over medium-low heat.
  2. Add the egg halves and cook gently, carefully turning every so often, until the vinegar has evaporated.
  3. Remove the eggs from the pan, leaving as much of the oil as possible.
  4. Add the parsley, thyme, rosemary, Italian seasoning (if using), and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  5. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring occasionally, until the breadcrumbs are golden (3-4 minutes).
  6. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the eggs and season to taste with salt and pepper.



1 The original recipe called for 1/4 c. of olive oil and 4 tsp. of vinegar. I decided to decrease the oil to 2 Tbsp. because I'm trying to watch my weight, but I also bumped the vinegar up to 2 Tbsp. because I really like vinegar. I'm happy with the results, so I'll probably continue to do it this way in the future. Back
2 Simmons calls for 1/3 c. fresh breadcrumbs here, but notes that she has increased the quantity of breadcrumbs from what was given in the recipe she was referencing. I used 1/3 c. panko for my version and it was great, but I think 1/4 c. would've been plenty. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment