Thursday 21 September 2023

Bran Muffins

These bran muffins were fantastic! I'm used to bran muffins being full of tonnes of oil and sugar, but these were pleasingly lean while still being moist. The high oven temperature worried me a bit, but I followed the recipe and they came out great! (I did add a few raisins to my muffins and swap out the white sugar for brown, but I didn't make any changes to the proportions or baking time or temperature.) I might consider adding a pinch of cinnamon next time, but they're honestly great just the way they are.

Bran Muffins

Slightly adapted form Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 1 c. soft (plain/standard/pastry) flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 1/2 c. wheat bran
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 1/2-1 c. raisins (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter1
  • 1 Tbsp. golden syrup
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 large egg

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) and grease a muffin tin (or line with papers).
  2. Sift together the flour and baking powder.
  3. Mix in the salt and the wheat bran.
  4. Mix in the cinnamon and raisins (if using).
  5. Melt the butter with the golden syrup and stir in the brown sugar.
  6. In a separate container, mix the baking soda into the milk.
  7. Pour the butter mixture, milk mixture, and egg into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
  8. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
  9. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
  10. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.



1 The original recipe presumably used salted butter since it doesn't specify what type and my understanding is that salted butter is always the default in NZ. I don't generally keep salted butter on hand though, so I just used unsalted and didn't bother reducing the salt called for in the recipe like I normally would. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment