Saturday 9 September 2023

Chocolate Brownie

I was looking for something to make for dessert tonight and decided to give the brownie recipe from Edmonds a try. I haven't tasted it yet, but TF and the Kidlet both report that it's very good.

When I was mixing it up, the batter seemed a bit stiffer than I tought was ideal, but the results seem fine, so maybe this is just an unusually thick batter. That said, some of my eggs were a bit on the small side, so it's also possible that that shifted the proportions a bit as well. I might try adding either an extra egg or just a splash of milk or something next time (unless I'm dealing with larger eggs, of course). Either way, the final product seemed rich and dark and chocolatey, so I'm happy overall.

Chocolate Brownie

Slightly adapted from Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 150g butter1, melted
  • 1 c. cocoa
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 c. soft (plain/standard/pastry) flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 250g dark chocolate, chopped

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) and grease a 23x33cm (9x13") pan2.
  2. Stir the cocoa into the melted butter.
  3. Beat the eggs in, one at a time.
  4. Mix in the sugar and the vanilla.
  5. Sift in the flour and the baking powder.
  6. Stir in the chocolate.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
  8. Bake at 160°C (325°F) for 35-40 minutes.
  9. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting or removing from tin.



1 My understanding is that when Edmonds just says "butter" without specifying whether it should be salted or unsalted, it should be understood as salted butter. However, my default butter these days is unsalted butter, so I just used that. I probably should've added a pinch of salt in to compensate for the unsalted butter, but I forgot. Back
2 The original recipe called for an 18x27cm tin, but I don't have any tins that size and, as far as I know, that isn't a standard size here. (At least, I've certainlly never heard of that size before now.) So, my options were: 20cm (8") square tins, a 23x33cm (9x13") tin, or one or more of my various round tins. If you end up going with a different tin, you may find that you need to adjust your baking times somewhat. Check often and be careful not to overbake! Back

No comments:

Post a Comment