Tuesday 12 September 2023

Stewed Carrots

Confession time: I was doing this in a hurry and I kind of messed up. The cream sauce for the carrots is meant to be thickened with a slurry of milk and flour. I meant to whisk 1/2 Tbsp. to a Tbsp. of flour into 2-3 Tbsp. of milk, but I had a brain fart and went and used 2 Tbsp. of flour instead. This resulted in a very thick, somewhat stodgy sauce. It's not awful, but it's not great either. So, note-to-self: make sure to use way less flour next time!

Photo goes here.

STEWED CARROTS
Cut the carrots lengthwise and boil till tender in salted water. Drain. Make sauce with 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan, 1 cup sweet cream, salt and pepper to taste, pour over the carrots, stirring gently once or twice. Mix a little flour with cold milk and add to hot cream to thicken--Mrs. R. Sommerville.

Stewed Carrots

Adapted from The Cook Book; recipe by Mrs. R. Sommerville

Ingredients

  • 6-8 carrots, peeled and cut into coins1
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt2
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 c. half-and-half (10%) or table (18%) cream
  • salt3 and pepper, to taste
  • 1/16 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
  • 2-3 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/2 Tbsp. flour

Directions

  1. Put the carrots and salt in a small pot and add enough water to completely cover the carrots.
  2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
  3. Reduce heat to medium and cook until carrots are tender.
  4. Drain carrots and set aside.
  5. Add the butter to the now empty pot and melt over medium heat.
  6. Add the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a small pinch of nutmeg if desired.
  7. Whisk the flour into the milk. Once the cream is hot and steaming (but not boiling) pour in the milk slurry and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
  8. Return the carrots to the pot and stir to coat.
  9. Continue cooking until everything is well-mixed and heated through.



1 Yes, the original recipe says to cut them lengthwise, but I like coins better, so I did them that way. Back
2 I think I used ~3/4 tsp. salt in the water for my carrots and that seemed like it may have been a bit too much, so I've cut it back to 1/2 tsp. here. Adjust according to your own tastes. Back
3 Since I already had a packet of onion soup mix open for my spaghetti and hamburger steak I just used a bit of that in place of the salt here. I think I put in a slightly generous 1/2 tsp. for the sauce. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment