Tuesday 19 September 2023

Eggs with Beurre Noir, Capers, and Parsley

I've been continuing to work my way through the Good Egg for breakfasts. This simple fried egg dish was delicious. We were all out of bread, so I served the eggs on toasted English muffin halves, which worked wonderfully. I did bump up the quantity of capers called for slightly and I fried the eggs in slightly less butter than called for since I knew I'd be adding lots of butter to make the sauce anyway. But I followed the recipe otherwise.


Eggs with Beurre Noir, Capers, and Parsley

Slightly adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 3-4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2-3 tsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1-2 Tbsp. capers1
  • 2-4 slices bread, toasted2

Directions

  1. Warm two plates gently in the oven.
  2. Melt 1/2-1 Tbsp. of the butter in a pan over medium-low heat.
  3. When the butter sizzles, add the eggs one at a time. (Break into a cup first and then pour into the pan for best results.)
  4. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
  5. Once eggs reach desired doneness, transfer to warm plates and set aside.
  6. Add the remaining 2-3 Tbsp. of butter to the pan and increase heat to medium.
  7. Cook until butter browns (2-3 minutes).
  8. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
  9. Pour the sauce over the eggs and garnish with parsley and capers.
  10. Serve with toast.



1 The original recipe calls for "small capes, rinsed and drained". My capers weren't particularly small, so I elected to chop them. I also didn't bother rinsing. I like the briny-ness! Back
2 You may opt to butter your toast if you like (as suggested in the original recipe), but I found that there was enough butter in the sauce and didn't feel that the bread required any additional butter. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment