Sunday 16 November 2014

Zuni's Pasta with Tuna

So, in my Internet wanderings, I managed to stumble across another fantastic find from Food52: Zuni's Pasta with Preserved Tuna. Now, it calls for preserved lemon, which I can't seem to find around here for love or money. I would like to try my hand at making them sometime, but I wasn't feeling quite that ambitious this past week. Maybe over the holidays I can try to pickle me some lemons. In the meantime, I just used some fresh lemon zest and left out the preserved lemon for now.

Although my pasta was shells, not penne, the dish was still phenomenal. I topped mine with some grated Parmesan and a few extra capers. The next time I went to make this, I was a bit short on both tuna and capers so I tossed in a few anchovy fillets. I was hoping that this would compensate for the missing fish as well as adding back in a bit of the salt that would've come from the capers. It seemed to work pretty well!

I'll definitely be keeping this recipe as something tasty to throw together on a weeknight.

Pasta with Lemon and Tuna
1 lb. dry pasta
1/2 c. olive oil
1 Tbsp. lemon zest, minced
1-2 bay leaves
3/4 tsp. chile flakes
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
1/4 c. pine nuts
2 Tbsp. capers (I left mine whole)
3 tins tuna OR 2 tins tuna + 6-8 anchovy fillets

No comments:

Post a Comment