Wednesday 26 November 2014

Black Bean Soup (and a whoops!)

So, the plan was to have black bean soup tonight... but, I dun messed up. I guess it could still sort of be considered black bean soup, but I had a bit of a brain fart and put in twice as many tomatoes as I meant to. It's sort of halfway between a soup and a chunky tomato sauce. It did turn out pretty tasty though. So, here's what I meant to put in the pot:

Black Bean Soup
1 guajillo chile
2 ancho chiles
2 chiles de arbol
2 Tbsp. corn oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (~100mL)
1/2 c. medium salsa
1 (14.5 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 (14.5 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
4 c. chicken stock
2-3 c. corn, to taste
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped

1. Slightly blacken the dried chiles (guajillo, ancho, and arbol) in a dry pan over medium-high heat. Set aside.
2. Add corn oil to pot and sauté onion until slightly browned. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
3. Return chiles to pot. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer until ready to serve.
4. Top with crumbled feta or queso fresco and a generous squeeze of lime juice to serve.

This was still tasty with double the tomato (2 cans), but the black beans didn't have as much of a presence as I would've liked. The flavour was excellent though! The chipotles added a nice smokiness and depth. It was a bit spicy, but had a beautiful full-bodied flavour to it. And I love the tartness added by the lime juice at the end.

I do wish I'd had a little more corn. I only had about a cup or so of corn left (maybe a bit more, I didn't measure) and I put it all in, but it would've been nice with at least twice as much corn I think. I like the bit of sweetness it adds.

So, all-in-all, not perfect, but not a complete failure either. I'll definitely try this again in the future and keep tweaking it until I'm happy with it. In the meantime, I may experiment with using this extra tomato-y version as a chunky sauce...

No comments:

Post a Comment