Sunday 16 November 2014

Green Chickpeas

So, I decided to finally try making a green chickpea curry. The Indian grocery store around the corner from us carries them both dried and frozen and I've been really curious to give them a try.

I went with frozen since they'd be faster to cook and also because I hoped that freezing would preserve more of the fresh flavour than drying.

The curry came out pretty tasty. I didn't like it as well as the dal, but TF liked it better! The sprog seemed to be a big fan of the green chickpeas as well. Perfect finger food!

One thing to be aware of if you're doing some green chickpea experimentation of your own: they stay firm on the outside. Very firm. Every time I went to stir them, they'd click and clunk against the spoon and I'd assume that they needed more cooking. I'm not sure how long I left them boiling away in that pot for all told. Eventually, I decided to fish one out and taste it... And found that it was perfectly tender inside, but that outer skin just seems to stay rather rigid no matter what you do. So, in the end, I'm not entirely sure how long it takes to cook a green chickpea, but it's probably a lot less time than it might seem based on their external texture. Just FYI. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment