Sunday 23 November 2014

Jumballs

Best historical cookie recipe yet!

The ladies at Cooking in the Archives can be thanked for this excellent recipe as well. They came out with a slightly different interpretation of the recipe than I did, but only in the amount of spices used, so I don't imagine our two takes will have turned out very different.

Here's my take on Lady Chanworth's jumballs:
227g sugar
341g flour
1 Tbsp. caraway seeds
1/2 tsp. coriander seeds
1 c. butter, melted
1 Tbsp. rosewater
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
57g blanched almonds, ground

I combined the sugar, flour, caraway seeds, and coriander seeds first. Then I poured in the melted butter and rosewater and gave it a stir to incorporate the liquids. I added both egg yolks at once and by the time I'd incorporated those, had a nice, somewhat crumbly shortbread dough. I was unsure whether or not I'd be able to work the ground almonds in. They disappeared into the dough just fine though!

I chose to mimic the shaping approach taken in Cooking in the Archives and rolled my dough out into a long log and sliced it into cookies from there. I ended up with four and a half dozen wonderfully buttery and tasty cookies!

These are lovely little shortbreads and I'll definitely be making them again! I really like this recipe, but I think it'd be interesting to try a few of the many other versions of these cookies just to see how they turn out. Maybe I'll be able to find some time to try one next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment