Wednesday 10 January 2024

Ricotta with Blood Orange, Pistachios, and Honey

This dessert is given as the recipe for December 30th in my Dish of the Day cookbook. the idea is that it's meant to be something light and refreshing to offset all the rich, heavy foods that tend to get eaten over the holidays. I lightened it up slightly more by swapping out the whole milk ricotta for low-fat ricotta. I also halved the pistachios. The original recipe called for equal parts ricotta and nuts! I think next time I might double the ricotta and orange as well. I like the idea of having those two elements making up the bulk of the dish with the pistachios, honey, and pomegranate acting as highlights.

This was a pleasant dessert. It's definitely not going to become a go-to favourite or anything, but it was easy and it did taste nice, just not amazing. And it also let me use up most of the leftover pomegranate I had sitting in the fridge plus some of the blood oranges from the freezer. (Although I accidentally grabbed one blood orange and one navel orange, so only half of my little ricotta pots had actual blood orange in. Whoops! Oh well...) So, overall, glad I tried it and I might make it again sometime, but it probably won't be a regular occurance.


Ricotta with Blood Orange, Pistachios, and Honey

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 c. ricotta
  • 4 blood oranges
  • 1/4 c. pistachios, chopped
  • 1/4 c. pomegranate arils
  • 1/4 c. honey

Directions

  1. Place 1/4 c. of ricotta in each dish/jar/cup.
  2. Use a knife to remove the peel and pith from the oranges. Segment or slice as desired.
  3. Place 1/4 of the orange pieces (1 orange worth) on top of each portion of ricotta.
  4. Top each with 1 Tbsp. of pistachios, 1 Tbsp. of pomegranate, and 1 Tbsp. of honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment