Monday 8 January 2024

Bran-Nut Bread

I made some delicious beef bourguignon last week and realized partway through making it that we were all out of bread. I knew I didn't have enough time to make a proper yeasted loaf at that point1, so I gave this chemically-leavened bran bread a try instead. It was pretty good and I actually liked it a lot better than I thought I would. That said, the batter produced by the recipe as written was way too dry! It was basically a dough. I had to add a bunch of extra milk and some sourdough starter to even get it to the point of being a thick batter. Having made those adjustments though, it was great!

Bran-Nut Bread

Slightly adapted from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

Ingredients

  • 300g hard (strong/high grade/bread) whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 2 c. wheat bran
  • 1 2/3 c. milk2
  • 125g sourdough discard @ 100% hydration
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 c. walnuts, chopped
  • 1 c. currants or raisins (optional)

Directions

  1. Grease and flour a loaf pan. Use a larger one if you plan to include the dried fruit, smaller if you don't.
  2. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
  3. Combine flour and salt and sift in baking powder.
  4. Mix in bran.
  5. In a large measuring cup, beat egg with milk, starter, butter, and molasses.
  6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine. Adjust consistency with a little more milk if needed.
  7. Mix in walnuts and currants (if using).
  8. Pour into prepared loaf tin and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
  9. Bake at 190°C (375°F) for 45-60 minutes.
  10. Turn out onto wire rack to cool.



1 I probably could have made the yeasted batter bread out of the same book. But I'd made that one before and I wanted to try something new! Back
2 I'm not sure exactly how much milk I put in. I started with the 1 1/3 c. called for in the recipe and mixed the batter up as specified, but ended up going back and adding a bunch more milk at the end when the batter proved to be way too dry. I think I probably added at least an extra 1/3 c., possibly a bit more. Use enough milk to make a thick batter. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment