Tuesday 30 January 2024

Coconut Waffles

I've been working through the waffle recipes in the book in order (more-or-less1). So the fact that this was "next up" and I already had an open can of coconut milk in the fridge worked out pretty well. (I mean, I ended up not having enough coconut milk in the fridge, so then I had to open up a new can anyway, but at least the "timer" is effectively reset now.)

These waffles were really nice. The coconut flavour was mild, but did, indeed, come through. And they had a light texture that fell somewhere between fluffiness of a buttermilk waffle and the creaminess of a Belgian waffle.

The exterior crisped up nicely (which the Kidlet appreciated), but I did find that I had to turn the heat on the waffle iron up slightly higher than I typically use for most other waffles. I also left the waffles in for ~30 seconds beyond when the waffle iron said they were done. Having made those adjustments though, they came out great!



Coconut Waffles

Slightly adapted from Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Dawn Yanagihara

Ingredients

  • 2/3 c. unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
  • 180g (~1 1/3 c.) all-purpose flour
  • 60g (~5 Tbsp.) sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 c. coconut milk
  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter2, melted

Directions

  1. Preheat your waffle iron. If it has adjustable temperature, set it a little higher than you normally would. (eg. I normally cook most waffles on "4" on my waffle iron, but I found that these ones cooked better when it was set to "5".)
  2. Combine the coconut, flour, sugar, and salt.
  3. Sift in the baking powder and mix well.
  4. In a large measuring cup, beat the egg yolks with the vanilla and coconut milk.
  5. Whisk in the butter (or coconut oil).
  6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until just combined.
  7. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
  8. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
  9. Pour a portion of batter into the preheated waffle iron, close, and cook, leaving the waffles in the iron for 15-30 seconds longer than indicated. Repeat until all batter has been used.
  10. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to stand for 30-60 seconds before serving.
  11. Serve plain or with you favourite compote, syrup, or fresh fruit. (Bananas work particularly well.) Alternatively, reduce the sugar in the batter slightly and serve with ice cream, caramel sauce, whipped coconut cream, and/or lime curd for dessert.



1 I had to skip over the malt waffles for now because I haven't been able to get any non-diatastic malt powder yet. And, of course, all the various sauces and compound butters and whatnot appear in their own chapter at the end of the book, so I've been doing those out of order as well. But, other than that, I've been making all the actual waffle recipes in the order in which they appear in the book. Back
2 I made these with butter this time, but I think it would be nice to try making them with melted coconut oil. It probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but it'd be interesting ot see. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment