Monday 29 January 2024

Miso Butter Steaks with Mushrooms and Broccoli

We still have a few steaks left in the freezer, so I've been keeping my eye out for good recipes to use them up. This recipe is really meant to be made wiht filets mignons, but we didn't get that cut with this beef, so I decided to try it with a rib steak instead. Sadly, this was a bit too tough for this particular preparation. But it was tasty otherwise.



Miso Butter Steaks with Mushrooms and Broccoli

Slightly adapted from Cook's Country February/March 2021

Ingredients

  • 2-4 Tbsp. unsalted butter1, divided
  • 4 tsp. red miso paste2
  • 4 (170-225g) filets mignons, trimmed
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 450g mushrooms3, sliced
  • 450g broccoli florets
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Mash all but 1/2 Tbsp. of butter with miso paste in a 3:1 ratio (ie. 1 Tbsp. of butter to 1 tsp. miso) and set aside.
  3. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.
  4. Melt the remaining 1/2 Tbsp. of butter over medium-high heat.
  5. Add the steaks and cook until well-browned (~3 minutes per side).
  6. Transfer steaks to rimmed baking sheet and roast at 180°C (350°F) until meat registers 50°C (~120°F) for medium-rare (10-15 minutes). (Cook longer and to a higher internal temperature if you would like your steak more well-done.)
  7. Tent with foil and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
  8. Meanwhile, add mushrooms to now-empty pan, cover, and cook over medium-high heat until beginning to brown (~5 minutes).
  9. Add broccoli, garlic, and 1 Tbsp. of miso butter (or simply 1 tsp. of miso if your mushrooms were oil-packed).
  10. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender (~6 minutes).
  11. Add 2 more Tbsp. miso butter (or 2 tsp. miso paste for oil-packed mushrooms) and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
  12. Top the steaks with the remaining miso butter.
  13. Serve the steaks with the mushroom mixture.



1 The original recipe calls for 6 Tbsp. of butter: 1 Tbsp. to cook the steak, 3 Tbsp. to cook the mushrooms and broccoli, and 2 Tbsp. to dress the steak. I used only 2 Tbsp. of butter in my rendition: 1 Tbsp. to cook the steak and 1 Tbsp. to dress the steak. Personally, I think that I probably could have cut the cooking butter back to 1/2 Tbsp. That said, had I been using fresh mushrooms rather than jarred ones (which were packed in a mixture of oil and vinegar), then I would have used at least 2 Tbsp. for cooking the mushrooms and broccoli. So, do with that what you will... Back
2 I didn't have any red miso, so I just used some of the white that I already had in the fridge. Back
3 The original recipe calls for shiitake mushrooms here. However, I had a jar of mixed "wild" mushrooms in the pantry, so I opted to use them instead. I think shiitake would have been great, but this mix also worked well here. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment