Monday 10 April 2023

Tropical Cottage Cheese Breakfast Bowl

I've been continuing to experiment with the cottage cheese breakfast bowl recipes on the Budget Bytes blog. Today I tried the "tropical" breakfast bowl. It was alright. Probably not something I'd go out of my way for, but decent. I added a little syrup to it to kick up the sweetness a notch. I think it might be good with some of the tropical fruit blend I have in the freezer. I feel like the mango and dragonfruit might be a nice addition. (Not as budget-friendly as just using plain pineapple, of course, but that's fine for my purposes.)

Tropical Cottage Cheese Breakfast Bowl

Adapted from Budget Bytes

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. cottage cheese (fat-free for the calorie-conscious)
  • 1/2 c. pineapple1 or thawed frozen "tropical fruit blend"2
  • 1 Tbsp. unsweetened shredded dried coconut3
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. no sugar added syrup, maple syrup, or honey (optional)

Directions

  1. Combine everything in a bowl and eat.



1 The original recipe called for drained canned pineapple tidbits. I used chopped fresh pineapple because they had some on mark-down at the grocery store. I think either is fine. Use whichever you prefer. Back
2 My tropical fruit blend contains pineapple, mango, dragonfruit, and coconut. Feel free to use something similar if you have it available. Or make your own tropical mix. Back
3 If your fruit blend already includes coconut, feel free to omit the dried coconut here. You could also try it with sweetened dried coconut (which is what I suspect Beth used). I don't routinely keep that on hand though, so I just went with unsweetened for mine. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment