Sunday 9 April 2023

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Breakfast Bowl

This was meant to be a cottage cheese breakfast bowl but, after giving it some thought, I decided that I would probably like it better as a Greek yogurt breakfast bowl, so I swapped out the cheese for yogurt.

The original recipe called for 1/2 c. of the cottage cheese mixture to be topped with 1 Tbsp. of peanut butter and 1/4 c. of granola. Looking at the 1/2 c. of yogurt sitting in my bowl, I felt like those proportions were a bit off. So I doubled the yogurt, but left the topping quantities the same (although I did add a few strawberries because I thought they'd be nice with it).

The original recipe also called for sweetening the cheese mixture with a small amount of brown sugar. I did this for the first quantity of yogurt, but then didn't want to add any additional sugar when I increased the yogurt, so I opted to switch to a "no sugar added" syrup instead. If you're not counting calories, feel free to go with the sugar. If you are, then you can shave a few by using something like the diet syrup I used or a monk-fruit or stevia-based sweetener.

You could also shave some calories/fat buy replacing the peanut butter with peanut butter powder (defatted peanut flour). You still get the peanut flavour and the protein, but without the oil. However, I find that peanut flour often tends to give smoothies a somewhat gritty texture, so just be aware of that. Also, sometimes I just want to treat enjoy the luxuriousness of real, full-fat, freshly ground, delicious peanut butter. So that's what I went for today.

I've included a couple variants of this recipe below. Make whichever one suits you depending on what your goals are or what you have on hand.



Chocolate-Peanut Butter Breakfast Bowl

Adapted from Budget Bytes

Ingredients

  • 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1-2 tsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3-4 strawberries, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
  • 1/4 c. granola

Directions

  1. Add the cocoa, sugar, and vanilla to the yogurt and mix to combine.
  2. Top with strawberries, peanut butter, and granola.



Variations

Lower-Calorie Version

Ingredients

  • 1 c. fat-free plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp. cocoa powder
  • 1-2 Tbsp. no sugar added syrup or a low-calorie sweetener of your choice
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3-4 strawberries, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. peanut butter powder (defatted peanut flour)
  • 3 Tbsp. granola

No comments:

Post a Comment