Friday 14 April 2023

Flexible Dinner Board

I was running low on Points last night and needed something quick and easy that I could throw together with what I had on hand and that wouldn't take me over my Points budget for the day. I cast about for some ideas and eventually settled on this "dinner board". I modified it from the original recipe to fit what I had on hand, but the concept is pretty flexible: Put a bunch of veggies (and maybe some fruit) on a plate, add a hard-boiled egg, and maybe a dip and/or another protein or two.

The original had carrots, dill pickles, sliced radishes, grapes, edamame, whole roasted chickpeas, cooked shrimp, hard-boiled eggs, turkey-wrapped asparagus, and a yogurt-based dip. I opted to keep the carrots, pickles, and grapes, but swap out the radishes for cherry tomatoes. I don't like edamame, so I just left them out. I already had some split spicy roasted chickpeas open, so I used those instead of the whole "roasted without oil" chickpeas called for. I seasoned my hard-boiled egg with furikake rather than everything bagel seasoning. And I skipped the yogurt dip and just dipped my carrots in the salmon salad that I used to replace the shrimp instead. Really, though, you could make any number of variations on this theme. This one was just what I was able put together quickly and easily with what I already had on hand.



Flexible Dinner Board

Ingredients

Veggies

Pick 2-4
  • 1 carrot, cut into sticks
  • 1/4 cucumber, cut into coins
  • 1-2 radishes, sliced
  • 1-2 dill pickles
  • 6-8 cherry tomatoes
  • 4-6 asparagus spears, steamed
  • 6-8 edamame pods, steamed
  • 1/4 bell pepper, sliced

Fruit

Pick 1-2
  • 10-12 grapes
  • 6-8 strawberries
  • 1-2 fresh or dried figs
  • 1 apple, sliced
  • 15-20 blueberries

Proteins

Pick 2-3
  • 1 hard-boiled egg, halved
  • 1/3 c. salmon or tuna salad
  • 4 slices chicken or turkey breast
  • 1-2 Tbsp. roasted chickpeas/chana
  • 30g smoked salmon
  • 4-6 cooked shrimp

Dips & Seasonings

As desired
  • grainy mustard
  • furikake
  • everything bagel seasoning
  • yogurt dip1

Directions

  1. Select, cut, and prep all of your components.
  2. Arrange them on a plate or board.
  3. That's it!



1 The original recipe featured a dip made of plain yogurt, scallions, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and garlic powder. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment