Thursday 10 November 2022

Spicy Sautéed Kale and Beans

I picked up a bunch of cookbooks in a Humble Bundle a while back. I'm not really used to using digital/PDF cookbooks, so it's taken me a while to get around to using them. But I was in a cookbook browsing mood the other day, so I decided to crack one open and take a look.

This recipe is from the Vegetable of the Day Cookbook. It's organized like a calendar with one recipe for each day of the year.

I'm not really interested in trying to cook each recipe on the day it's assigned to in the book. But I do appreciate the collection of varied and somewhat seasonal vegetable recipes.

I thought about trying to start with a November recipe (for maximum seasonality) or trying to find something that looked like it would match thematically with the rest of the dinner. But, in the end, what I really felt like, was just starting at the beginning of the book and working my way though. So that's what I ended up doing!

The January 1st recipe was for "spicy sautéed kale and chickpeas". I didn't have any tinned chickpeas on hand though and I didn't feel like cooking dried ones from scratch, so I decided to use cannellini beans instead. The creaminess of the beans actually worked quite well with the kale and chili flakes, so I think I will just default to using them for this dish from now on. I'm sure the chickpeas would also be good, but I think I prefer the cannellini beans here.

Spicy Sautéed Kale and Beans

Slightly adapted from Vegetable of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 450g black kale, coarsely shredded
  • 1 (540mL) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/8-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt

Directions

  1. Warm garlic and oil over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until softened (~7 minutes).
  2. Add ~1/2 of the kale to the pan, cover, and cook for ~2 minutes.
  3. Add remaining kale and toss to coat with oil.
  4. Cover and cook until tender (~15 minutes).
  5. Uncover and stir in beans, pepper flakes, and salt.
  6. Increase heat to medium and cook until the beans are heated through (~5 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment