Monday 28 November 2022

Accordion Potatoes

I'm used to hearing this style of potato called "hasselback" after the restaurant the first started serving them this way. Aaron, however, calls them accordion potatoes. And I've kept the name as I figure this is a good way to disambiguate his rendition from the European version as I believe the seasonings are significantly different even if the preparation is largely the same.

I really like the seasoning mix for these potatoes! The combination of Parmesan, sugar, and gochugaru makes for a wonderful flavour. I found Aaron's cooking times and temperatures needed a lot of adjusting to avoid mostly raw potatoes for dinner, but the flavours were great!

I'm still fiddling with the recipe to figure out the best oven settings. The first time I made this I followed Aaron's recipe exactly and cooked my potatoes at 160°C (325°F) for 30 minutes. My potatoes were almost completely raw at that point, so I upped the temperature to 180°C (350°F) and put them back in. After an additional 30 minutes they still weren't fully cooked, but we were tired and hungry so we ate them anyway. This time I tried setting the oven to 200°C (400°F) and turned on the convection fan. I pulled them out after 40 minutes because dinner was already running late. They seemed to be mostly cooked through at that point, but I think they probably could've done with another 5 or 10 minutes. I might try bumping the temperature up by another 25°F next time and see how that goes. These latest settings did at least produce acceptable results though, so that's nice.


Accordion Potatoes

Slightly adapted from Aaron & Claire

Ingredients

  • potatoes (however many you'd like)
  • 1-2 tsp. butter per potato, melted
  • 5 Tbsp. grated Parmesan (or Parmesan cheese powder)
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp. gochugaru
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground

Directions

  1. Wash the potatoes and cut a slice off of one side (so that they will lie flat and not roll around).
  2. Working with one potato at a time, place it cut-side-down and place a chop stick on either side of the potato. Then thinly slice the potato almost all the way through. (The chopsticks will act as guard rails to help prevent your cuts from going all the way through the potato.)
  3. Place the potatoes in a bowl of cold water and leave to soak for 10 minutes (to remove excess starch).
  4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200-220°C (400-425°F).
  5. Drain the potatoes and brush all over with melted butter. Try to get butter into as many of the cuts as possible. Get between all the layers!
  6. Bake at 200-220°C (400-425°F) for 30-50 minutes.1 Use a convection fan if you have it.
  7. While the potatoes are cooking, combine the Parmesan, garlic powder, gochugaru, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
  8. Once the potatoes are finished cooking, sprinkle with the seasoning blend.
  9. Serve hot.



1 Apologies for the wide range of temperatures and times. As noted above, I'm still dialing this recipe in. I think 50 minutes at 200°C (400°F) would've been about right, but I'd also be curious to try it at a slightly higher oven temperature at some point. However, a higher temperature will likely necessitate a shorter cooking time. Hence the range. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment