Saturday 12 November 2022

Sourdough Carrot Muffins

This recipe may need a little tweaking. I wasn't super enthused about how the coconut oil behaved when added to the other wet ingredients. I had melted the coconut oil, but it froze again when the milk and eggs were added. This led to having big chunks of solid oil in my batter. I know it would probably behave somewhat better if I'd let my milk and eggs come to room temperature beforehand. But coconut oil is still pretty solid even at room temperature (at least at the temperatures my kitchen generally is). So, I worry that it would have issues anyway, even with warmer wets.

I think, in the future, I'd prefer to use an oil with a lower freezing point instead. I think corn or canola oil would work well.

I also think it needs more spices. I've added some vanilla and cloves to the recipe here, although I haven't had a chance to try it with these additions yet. Experiment with it and see what you like!

Sourdough Carrot Muffins

Adapted from Everyday Healthy Cookbook by Dana Jacobi

Ingredients

  • 120g whole wheat flour (hard or soft)
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 100g brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 c. dried currants (or golden raisins)
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1 1/2 c. finely grated carrots
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk
  • 250g sourdough discard (unfed starter)
  • 1/3 c. neutral oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • seed sprinkle topping (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease wells of a muffin tin (or line with papers).
  2. Sift baking powder and baking soda into flour.
  3. Mix in the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
  4. Add the currants, walnuts, and carrots.
  5. In a large measuring cup, mix the buttermilk, sourdough discard, oil, egg, and vanilla.
  6. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
  7. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
  8. If desired, add some seed sprinkle topping.
  9. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for ~20 minutes.
  10. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.



Variations

Vegan Version

Ingredients

  • 120g whole wheat flour (hard or soft)
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 100g organic brown sugar1
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 c. dried currants
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1 1/2 c. finely grated carrots
  • 1/2 c. nut milk + 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 250g sourdough discard (unfed starter)
  • 1/3 c. neutral oil
  • 1 flax egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • seed sprinkle topping (optional)



1 Some sugar is produced using bone char. But it is not used in organic brown sugar. At least not in North America as far as I know. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment