Sunday 21 August 2022

The Bird that Flew Away

This is a simple chickpea dish. Wolfert explains that this is a poverty dish; something you'd make if you can't afford to buy meat. The name is a humorous reference to that fact.

I rushed this dish a bit. I didn't soak the chickpeas for as long as I should have. And then I failed to add enough water to the pot. And I also failed to keep a close enough eye on it while it was cooking. So the pot boiled dry and I ended up with chickpeas that were too firm and a bit scortched on the bottom. It was still okay, but not one of my favourites. Even without the various self-inflicted problems I introduced, I just found the flavours a little too subtle. And that was after doubling all the spices called for. I'm glad I tried it. But I don't think I'll be revisiting this one.

The Bird that Flew Away

Slightly adapted from The Food of Morocco by Paula Wolfert

Ingredients

  • 1 1/8 c. dried chickpeas
  • 1/2 a large red onion, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 tsp. sweet paprika
  • 1/8 tsp. hot paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp. ghee

Directions

  1. Soak the chickpeas overnight in plenty of water (they will expand as they soak).
  2. The next day, drain and, if desired, peel the chickpeas.
  3. Place the chickpeas in a pot with enough water to cover them. Be a little generous here. I didn't put enough water and my pot boiled dry.
  4. Bring to a boil and add the onion, parsley, cilantro, paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper, and ghee.
  5. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Check on them periodically and add more water as needed. You want them to just absorb all of the water by the time they're done. The finished chickpeas should be very, very tender but not completely broken down.
  6. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment