Wednesday 31 August 2022

Fresh Tomato and Caper Salad

TM brought over some tomatoes and bell peppers when she came over for dinner the other night. I turned some of that into a bell pepper salad. But there was still a bit leftover (plus some tomatoes that I'd bought), so I decided to make this tomato and caper salad.

I love capers, so I was really looking forward to that element. Sadly, we seem to be all out of capers. We always have capers! It didn't even occur to me to check because we just always have them. But, since neither of us wanted to run out to the grocery store just for capers, we decided to go ahead with the salad and substitute chopped olives for the capers. It's not the same. But it's still a nice salad. Definitely make it with capers if you have them though!


Fresh Tomato and Caper Salad

Slightly adapted from The Food of Morocco by Paula Wolfert

Ingredients

  • 900g very ripe tomatoes, diced1
  • 1/2 c. minced red onion
  • 2 ribs celery, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced2
  • 1/2 a preserved lemon, pulp removed, rinsed, and minced
  • 2-3 Tbsp. capers, drained
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. white peppercorns, ground
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon

Directions

  1. Combine the tomatoes, onion, celery, bell pepper, preserved lemon, and capers and set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, cobine the salt, pepper, oil, and lemon juice and mix well.
  3. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
  4. Cover and chill for 30-60 minutes before serving.



1 As usual, Wolfert specifies that the tomatoes should be peeled and seeded before dicing them. I didn't want to do that, so I just diced my tomatoes -- skin, seeds, and all! Presumably that's why my salad looks so juicy/watery. Back
2 Once again here, she calls for peeling, coring, and seeding the bell pepper. Obviously I cored/seeded it. But I didn't bother trying to peel it before dicing. She also specifically calls for a green bell pepper, but I only had a yellow on hand (and I prefer them anyway), so I just used that. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment