Monday 12 April 2021

Fluffy Sourdough Pancakes

We make a lot of sourdough pancakes. Usually, however, they're a simple savoury affair. Just fry up some onion (or green onion), pour a bit of discard on top and cook! Serve with a fried egg and your favourite toppings. I usually go for mayo and laoganma and maybe a bit of chopped cucumber or shredded carrot. This makes for a nice, fairly low-effort weekday breakfast. However, the Kidlet is much more fond of fluffy sweet pancakes. (Because of course she is.)

I've made fluffy sourdough pancakes before, but it doesn't look like I ever got around to doing a write-up for them. I can no longer remember which recipe I used. I think it might've been from the King Arthur Flour website. This time I grabbed a recipe from a blog post I stumbled across. It produces pleasingly fluffy pancakes with just a hint of sweetness. I made them with just a hint of whole wheat flour this time (so as not to disappoint the Kidlet), but I think I'd probably go for something closer to a 1:1 ratio next time, or even 100% whole wheat depending on which flour(s) I'm using.

Fluffy Sourdough Pancakes

Slightly adapted from Taste of Lizzy T

Ingredients

  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 225g sourdough discard (unfed starter)
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbsp. oil

Directions

  1. Combine flours and sift in baking powder and baking soda.
  2. Mix in sugar.
  3. Add the starter, milk, egg, and oil.
  4. Mix until just combined. A few small lumps are okay.
  5. Heat a griddle or cast iron pan and grease if necessary.
  6. Pour desired amount of batter into the pan. I normally like to use 3-4 Tbsp. of batter per pancake as this keeps the size manageable and easy to flip.
  7. Once bubbles begin to form and pancake starts to look dry around the edges, flip it.
  8. Once pancake is browned on both sides and cooked through, remove from pan.
  9. You may keep the pancakes warm by placing them in a 95°C (200°F) oven until ready to eat.
  10. Serve with butter, jam, maple syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream, and/or other toppings of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment