Saturday 10 April 2021

Peanut-Corn Muffins

I could not get over how incredibly odd this recipe sounded. The authors swore it was delicious and an especially big hit with kids. I wasn't entirely sold, but I was curious.

The peanuts and the corn both came through nicely. I don't think they really complement each other, but they don't clash either. I feel like maybe they need another element to tie them together. I think adding a few blueberries might make the peanuts feel a little more harmonious and like they're actually meant to be there. Overall, I can't say that I think this will become a new favourite, but the muffins were tasty enough. I might try them again sometime. Especially if I have blueberries to use up.

Peanut-Corn Muffins

Slightly adapted from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book

Ingredients

  • 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 3/4 c. cornmeal
  • 1/4 c. roasted, unsalted peanuts, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • 1/4 c. natural (no salt or sugar added) peanut butter
  • 2-3 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 1/2 c. buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 c. blueberries, tossed in 1-2 tsp. of additional flour (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a muffin tin.
  2. Sift baking powder into flour.
  3. Add salt, cornmeal, and peanuts.
  4. Whisk oil and honey into the peanut butter.
  5. Add buttermilk and egg and mix thoroughly.
  6. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
  7. Stir in blueberries (if using).
  8. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin.
  9. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 18-20 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven and let cool in tin for 5-10 minutes.
  11. Turn muffins out onto wire rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment