Wednesday 3 February 2021

Ven Pongal (Rice-Lentil Porridge)

There are loads of different pongal recipes out there. Pongal can be sweet or savoury and include any number of different flavours and ingredients. Sometimes it might be fairly plain, other times if may include all sorts of vegetables, nuts, or even fruit! Ven pongal is one of the savoury versions, but even within that, there can be a huge amount of variation. Ginger, curry leaves, and whole (or coarsely crushed) black peppercorns seem to be common to most (possibly all) ven pongal recipes, but everything else is open to adjustment and interpretation: proportion of rice to lentils, amount of water, other seasonings, amount of ghee, inclusion of cashews or other nuts... There are a lot of options!

I found Iyer's version okay. But I thik I'd like to try one of the cashew-full recipes next time. I was also slightly disappointed by the consistency of this pongal, but that's not really Iyer's fault. I adjusted the quantity of water called for down because I was doing it in the pressure cooker rather than on the stovetop. Apparently I adjusted it down too much. Now that I've looked at some other recipes (ones that were written for pressure cookers) I'm thinking I probably should've just used the full amount of water called for in the original recipe. (If I were making it on the stove, I might even end up using more water than called for.

My too-dry pongal still came out tasting nice. It's just a bit dense and heavy. I would've preferred something with more of a porridge-y, risotto-y consistency. Hopefully the extra water will help me out there the next time I try to make this.

Ven Pongal

Slightly adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. skinned split green lentils/mung beans (moong/mung dal)
  • 1 c. long-grain brown rice
  • 3 c. water
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 2-4 Tbsp. ghee, divided
  • 2 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp. black peppercorns
  • 3 (40mm x 20mm x 3mm) slices of ginger, julienned
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 15 fresh (or frozen) curry leaves

Directions

  1. Rinse the lentils and rice.
  2. Add rinsed rice and lentils to pressure cooker/InstantPot along with water, salt, and turmeric.
  3. Pressure cook (on high pressure for InstantPot) for 18 minutes with a 10-minute natural release.
  4. Meanwhile, heat 1-2 Tbsp. of ghee over medium-high heat.
  5. Add cumin seeds and pepper corns and cook for 30-60 seconds.
  6. Transfer spices and ghee to a mortar and lightly crush with a pestle.
  7. Heat the remaining 1-2 Tbsp. of ghee over medium-high heat.
  8. Add the ginger and cook until aromatic (15-30 seconds).
  9. Toss in the cilantro and curry leaves (carefully) and then remove from heat and set it aside.
  10. Once the porridge is ready, stir in both ghee mixtures.
  11. Serve with yogurt, pickles, and/or additional ghee.

No comments:

Post a Comment