Saturday 6 February 2021

Simple Wheat Germ Quick Bread

We're running low on bread again and I decided to try out a quick bread recipe rather than making another yeasted bread. Many quick breads lean toward the sweet and are basically cakes in loaf form. This one claimed to be "not too sweet" and appropriate for savoury applications, so I figured I'd give it a go.

The original recipe called for a mix of hard and soft whole wheat flour. I still don't have my grain mill set up yet, so I wasn't in a position to make any soft whole wheat flour. I ended up tossing in a little (white) all-purpose flour and just using hard whole wheat for the rest. The loaf came out very tender and a bit crumbly. I think I'd probably just use all hard whole wheat flour next time. I'd probably toss in an extra egg as well and reduce the water a little bit.

Simple Wheat Germ Quick Bread

Adapted from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 c. hard (strong/high grade/bread) whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 2 Tbsp. powdered milk
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 c. wheat germ
  • 1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 c. water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease and flour a 20cm x 10cm (8"x4") loaf pan.
  2. Combine flour, salt, and powdered milk.
  3. Sift in baking soda.
  4. Stir in wheat germ and mix well.
  5. Cream honey with butter.
  6. Beat in eggs one at a time.
  7. Add dry ingredients alternately with water.
  8. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 180°C (350°F) for about an hour.
  9. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10-15 minutes.
  10. Turn out of pan and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment