Thursday 11 February 2021

Blueberry Muffins

I've been craving dessert A LOT lately. Dessert has never been a habitual thing for me. It's something for birthdays, holidays, and other special occasions. Not an everyday thing. But, I have to say, over the last month or so, it's become an everyday thing. I'm not sure why I suddenly want sweets so much more, but I definitely do. This lead me to the situation tonight where I've had a pleasant dinner, but I still want something. We'd finished off the last of the lime bars yesterday, so those weren't an option. And I found myself casing about for something new to make.

Initially I was thinking about making a blueberry-sour cream bundt cake. But both the recipes I looked at just called for so much sugar. I mean, I know this is a cake we're talking about and I know I'm craving sweets but, even so! I just could not bring myself to make them. I wanted dessert, not diabetes! Eventually I ended up searching for blueberry muffin recipes instead. 'Cause, let's be honest here, most blueberry muffins are basically cupcakes masquerading as breakfast food anyway.

After a bit of casting about, I found a recipe on Cookie & Kate that I liked the look of. She'd billed them as "healthier" blueberry muffins. I still wouldn't necessarily view them as "virtuous", but I do want them to taste like a sugary treat after all. And they definitely are a heckuva lot healthier than any of the cake recipes I'd been looking at and they're a fair bit better than your "average" blueberry muffin too. Perfect!

These muffins came out wonderfully light and tender. They're exactly what I was hoping for. They taste sweet and indulgent without being completely over-the-top. If you wanted to try to make them even healthier, I think you could definitely play around with reducing the sugar (honey) and replacing some of the oil with applesauce. You could also try things like adding extra wheat bran and/or wheat germ and/or ground flax. As a dessert though, I think these are perfect just the way they are.

Blueberry Muffins

Slightly adapted from Cookie & Kate

Ingredients

  • 1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour (I used hard/strong/bread/high grade)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 tsp. flour (any kind)
  • 1 Tbsp. turbinado (raw) sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease and flour a muffin tin.
  2. Cream honey with oil.
  3. Beat in eggs one at a time.
  4. Mix in vanilla and yogurt.
  5. Without mixing, add flour, salt, and cinnamon.
  6. Sift baking powder and baking soda in on top.
  7. Stir to combine and form a thick batter.
  8. Toss blueberries with remaining flour.
  9. Fold blueberries into batter.
  10. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
  11. Sprinkle each muffin with ~1/4 tsp. of sugar.
  12. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 20-22 minutes.
  13. Remove from oven and let cool in tin for 10 minutes.
  14. Turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment