Sunday 28 February 2021

Mango Salad

I've been trying out a few more recipes from my Filipino cookbook. We had chicken adobo for dinner tonight and I needed a couple other dishes to round out the meal. I opted for a cucumber salad and a mango salad. For the cucumber salad, I followed a recipe that I found online. For the mango salad, I was pretty much just winging it. I ended up stirring together a couple tablespoons each of some other dressings I had on hand and stirring together a few other ingredients with some sliced mango and a little bit of palm sugar and calling it a day. I was slightly worried that such a chaotic approach would result in a disappointing dish, but it was actually amazingly good! TF and I both had seconds. I would definitely make both this and the cucumber salad again in the future.

Mango salad (top right) picture with cucumber salad (bottom right) and chicken adobo with rice (left).

Mango Salad

Ingredients

  • 1 mango, sliced
  • 1 shallot, halved and sliced thin
  • 1 fresh red Thai chili, sliced thin on bias
  • 1 tsp. palm sugar1, pulverized
  • 2 Tbsp. dressing from cucumber salad
  • 2 Tbsp. dressing from salad crêpes
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to thoroughly combine.
  2. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
  3. Top with chopped dry-roasted peanuts if desired.



1 My mango was a bit under-ripe and not very sweet. If you have a very sweet, ripe mango you may wish to omit the sugar. Make it to whatever level of sweetness you prefer. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment