Saturday 6 October 2018

Mixed Spice

Turns out that "mixed spice" is fairly ubiquitous in New Zealand and the UK. It seems to be somewhat similar to North American "pumpkin pie spice" in that it contains cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc. The one notable difference is that most mixed spice blends seem to contain a bit of coriander, while I've never heard of this being included in pumpkin pie spice. I think that, in a pinch, you could substitute the one for the other without much issue. That said, I don't tend to keep pumpkin pie spice on hand as I just use the spices individually, rather than pre-mixed. And I didn't really want to go out and buy a spice blend that a) wasn't going to be quite right anyway and b) I already had all the individual components for on hand already.

There is, of course, some variance in the exact ingredients and proportions of spices used from one brand/household to the next. I just grabbed a plausible-looking recipe off of the "BBC Good Food" website and went with that. The BBC recipe only gave measurements for ground spices. I've included whole spice equivalents as that's what I generally have on hand.

Mixed Spice

From BBC Good Food

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. allspice, ground or whole berries
  • 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon or 2 (3") cinnamon sticks
  • 1 Tbsp. ground nutmeg or 1 1/2 whole nutmegs
  • 2 tsp. ground mace or 2 tsp. lightly crushed blades of mace
  • 1 tsp. cloves, ground or whole
  • 1 tsp. coriander, ground or whole
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger

Directions

  1. Grind any whole spices to a fine powder.
  2. Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in an airtight container until needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment