Saturday 6 October 2018

Chocolate Glacé Icing

A simple icing of butter, icing sugar, and water. It can be flavoured and coloured as desired, is easy to make, and sets up fairly firm. I made this chocolate version to go with the banana cake I made earlier today.


A simple icing of butter, icing sugar, and water. It can be flavoured and coloured as desired, is easy to make, and sets up fairly firm. I made this chocolate version to go with the banana cake I made this morning.

Chocolate Glacé Icing

From Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 2 c. icing sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 25g (scant 2 Tbsp.) butter, softened
  • 2-4 Tbsp. hot water1
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Sift together icing sugar and cocoa powder.
  2. Stir in butter an hot water until icing becomes smooth and spreadable.
  3. Mix in vanilla.



1 I found I needed ~1/4 c. of water to get a smooth spreadable consistency. However, there's also a slight possibility that I accidentally added an extra 1/4 c. of icing sugar when I lost count of my scoops. Back

1 comment:

  1. This is a very easy icing, both in terms of making it and working with it. That said, it's also very sweet and I didn't find the chocolate flavour came through very much. I've since tried a batch with twice the amount of cocoa. That had a richer chocolate colour and actually tasted slightly of chocolate, although it was still very sweet and not as chocolate-y as I would've liked. All the other properties seem to have stayed the same though, so I'd definitely say don't be afraid to go heavy on the cocoa!

    ReplyDelete