Wednesday 31 October 2018

Raspberry Trifle

This recipe shows up in Edmonds as "Sherry Trifle". I followed that recipe but omitted the sherry. It still came out plenty moist and delicious with the added benefit of being kid-friendly.

I also didn't really weigh or measure anything for this one. I made one batch of three minute sponge (in a 9" square pan), split it and filled it with raspberry jam, and cut it into cubes. I then just tossed jammy cake cubes into the bottom of a glass bowl 'til they'd formed a nice layer and then poured a good bit of custard over top with a layer of frozen raspberries on top of it. Covered that with the rest of the cake cubes and even more custard and raspberries.

I think I must've either had more cake than the recipe called for, or a different shaped bowl because the 2 c. of custard they get you to make didn't end up being nearly enough! I ended up running out and making a second (2-c.) batch of custard. The allotted 300mL of heavy cream also wasn't nearly enough. I think used closer to 600mL -- it was half a litre + whatever was left in the other carton -- to cover the whole top of the trifle. I did whip it in the blender rather than using beaters though. And I know that generally results in a lower volume whip. But I wanted it to be stable in the fridge for several days while we ate it, so it seemed like a worthwhile trade-off.

Based on how much cream and custard I went through I'm guessing that I probably had ~400g of sponge rather than the recommended 200g. And I have no idea how much jam I used. I just spread jam on the cake until it was nicely filled. The recipe calls for 1/4 c. And, looking at the jar, I don't think 1/2 c. would be an unreasonable estimate of how much I used.

For the sake of simplicity I'm just going to copy the amounts and proportions directly from Edmonds even though I used more of basically everything. If you want a large trifle though, definitely don't hesitate to double everything!

Raspberry Trifle

Slightly adapted from Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 200g three minute sponge
  • 1/4 c. raspberry jam
  • 2 c. fresh (or frozen) raspberries
  • 1/4 c. custard powder
  • 3 Tbsp. (vanilla) sugar
  • 2 c. whole milk
  • 300mL heavy (35%) cream
  • 2 Tbsp. icing sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp. slivered almonds, toasted (optional)

Directions

  1. Split the sponge and fill it with the raspberry jam.
  2. Cut the filled sponge into cubes.
  3. Place the sponge cubes in the bottom of a glass bowl (or trifle dish).
  4. Add the fruit to the bowl on top of the cake.
  5. Combine the custard powder with the sugar.
  6. Pour in a small amount of milk and whisk until smooth.
  7. Add the remaining milk while whisking to form a uniform mixture.
  8. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking often, until thickened.
  9. Pour custard over cake cubes.
  10. Chill until custard is cold or overnight.
  11. Add icing sugar and vanilla to cream.
  12. Whip cream using beaters for a more voluminous, but less stable topping. Whip cream using a blender or food processor for a stiffer, more stable topping.
  13. Serve as is or garnish with slivered almonds and/or more raspberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment