Friday 16 February 2018

The Hulk Protein Shake

I tend to have a lot of trouble getting enough protein. Taking meat out of my diet doesn't really seem to have made this issue much worse, but it certainly hasn't made it better either!

Sometimes I will have a protein shake after dinner to try to balance out my macros a bit and give those all-important amino acid chains a bit of a boost. Historically this would be a sort of strawberry milkshake with skim milk, vanilla protein powder, and a bunch of frozen strawberries. The problem with this is that a shake like that now contains more carbs than protein! I guess I could just cut back on the strawberries, but I decided I'd poke around and see what other folks like to do for their protein shakes.

I actually found some really great ideas! Most of which I don't have the ingredients on hand for at the moment, but that's okay. Given that I do have a packet of instant pudding mix kicking around, I figured I'd try one of the recipes that'd put that to use. Great success!

The Hulk Pistachio Protein Shake
From Bodybuilding.com
1 c. skim milk
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 Tbsp. pistacho instant pudding mix
4-6 ice cubes
1-3 drops green food colouring

1. Blend.
2. Drink.
3. Hulk out!

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a gourmet milkshake. But it's tolerably tasty and contains nearly 50g of protein (along with 24g of carbs and 4g of fat). You could probably trim down the carbs a lot by using a "no sugar added" pudding mix, but I was using what I had on hand. Still... not too shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment