Saturday 17 February 2018

Coffee Frozen Yogurt

I've never actually made frozen yogurt before. I've made quite a bit of ice cream and the odd Italian ice, but never frozen yogurt. Since I've been trying to balance out my macros though and increase my protein (and decrease fat a bit), I figured that having some nice high-protein, low-fat frozen yogurt on hand for when I want a tasty treat probably wouldn't be a terrible plan.

This is mostly based on the vanilla frozen yogurt recipe from the booklet that came with the ice cream maker. I basically just swapped out the vanilla yogurt for plain fat-free Greek yogurt, used a bit more sugar than called for, and threw in some instant coffee crystals we had kicking around.

There is a "coffee latte frozen yogurt" recipe in the booklet. But it calls for gelatin and half-and-half and various other things I don't have and couldn't be bothered to get.

I was slightly worried that the gelatin was a necessary component when adding coffee to yogurt and that the lack of it would somehow cause a structural and/or textural disaster. But it seems to have worked out just fine! I tasted a little bit as I was packing it up to go in the freezer and it was lovely.

Coffee Frozen Yogurt
Adapted from the little Cuisinart "Instruction and Recipe Booklet" that came with my ice cream maker
3/4 c. milk1
1 c. vanilla sugar2
2 c. plain Greek yogurt3
2 Tbsp. heavy (35%) cream4
1 1/2 Tbsp. instant coffee crystals

1. Combine milk and sugar and whisk until sugar is at least mostly dissolved.
2. Add yogurt and whisk some more.
3. Stir in coffee and cream.
4. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk again.
5. Pour into running ice cream maker and churn for 25-35 minutes.


1 The original recipe called for whole milk. I used 1% lactose-free milk and it doesn't seem to have hurt it any. I suspect pretty much any milk would work just fine.
2 I used vanilla sugar because I had it on hand. If you just want to use regular (granulated) sugar, just toss ~1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract in with the coffee and cream.
3 As with the milk, I suspect any fat content would work out just fine here. It's also worth noting that the original recipe did not use Greek yogurt. If you're going for protein content though, Greek is definitely your best bet!
4 I had some heavy cream kicking around the fridge that needed using, so I tossed it in. That said, I suspect you could also use table cream (18%) or half-and-half (10%) with good results. I'd be reluctant to go any lower than that though, especially if you're already using a low-fat milk and/or yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment