Thursday 25 January 2018

Spicy Kale and Green Beans

So, I signed up for an organic produce subscription. I'm trying to eat less meat and more veg these days and I figure having a big ol' basket of fruit and veg delivered to my door periodically would be a good (and convenient) way to try to get myself eating more leafy greens. I'm really good with legumes. And I try to keep frozen spinach, peas, and corn on hand so that I can just add them to things on the fly. But I'm honestly not that great about incorporating vegetables into my diet in general. I hate wasting food though! So, if the veggies are getting delivered, then I will be honour-bound to eat them.

The very first produce basket was delivered yesterday! We got green kale, onions, red bell peppers, celery, cremini mushrooms, ambrosia apples, anjou pears, lemons, and bananas. Everything looks superb! And, after a bit of rummaging around on the Internet, I found this recipe for kale and green beans. I had to go out and buy the green beans for it, but we had everything else on hand. And it was delicious! Like, really, really good. I'm not even a kale person and I liked it!

Spicy Kale and Green Beans
Slightly adapted from foodnetwork.ca
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
227g cremini mushrooms (original calls for 1/4 lb., but I really like mushrooms)
750g green beans, cut into 1" pieces
1 tsp. coarse sea salt1
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 c. white wine
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 bunch (~250g) kale, rinsed, stemmed, and roughly chopped
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan

1. Heat olive oil on medium-high.
2. Add onions and cook for ~4 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for a couple minutes.
4. Add green beans, salt, and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
5. Add wine and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes.
6. Add red pepper flakes and kale, cover, and cook for 3-4 minutes. (Kale should wilt a bit.)
7. Add Parmesan and lemon juice. Toss to coat. Serve!



1 The original recipe calls for "2 tsp. salt" so, presumably, they're expecting you to use fine salt. Using the same volume of coarse salt should effectively halve the amount of salt going in to the pot, but that still sounded like way too much to me. I cut back to 1 tsp. coarse salt (so ~1/4 the amount of the original) and found that it tasted salty enough for my palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment