Friday 19 January 2018

Cog

Cog (or pop) is a cornmeal-based breakfast porridge. The procedure and ratios are nearly identical to polenta, but the flavour profile is very different. I quite like it as a warm and comforting alternative to oatmeal. (I still love my oatmeal, but sometimes I am just not feeling the oats.)


As with polenta, cog wants a 4-5:1 ratio of liquids to cornmeal. The difference is that you replace some of the water with coconut milk and then season it with things like cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla and sweeten it with condensed milk. Instead of serving it topped with sausages or a hearty ragu, it's generally topped with fresh fruit (or just eaten on its own). I also tend to cook my cog just a bit less than polenta and serve it slightly thinner. Whereas polenta should have a sort of "soft scrambled egg" texture, I like my cog to have a "very thick gravy or soup" consistency. Not quite "stand a spoon in it" thick, but not exactly runny either.

I had been hoping to post a pressure cooker/Instant Pot cog recipe today but, as it turns out, my Instant Pot method still needs a little tweaking. So, instead, I'll give you the stove top recipe that I have used with great success in the past.

Cog
Adapted from African Bites
1 c. cornmeal
2 c. lite coconut milk
2 c. water
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk + more for serving
fresh fruit (optional)

1. Combine cornmeal, coconut milk, water, cinnamon stick, and salt in a pot and bring to a boil, whisking often.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cog reaches desired consistency.
3. Stir in nutmeg, vanilla, and condensed milk.
4. Serve as is or topped with fruit and/or additional condensed milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment