Sunday 27 March 2016

Dark Chocolate Orange Truffles

I got to randomly clicking around the Smitten Kitchen blog the other day and stumbled across her post about hazelnut truffles. I decided that maybe it was finally time I tried making truffles myself. I'd always found the idea a little intimidating. I'm not sure why. I've made ganache before and, as she said, truffles are just firm ganache, so I figured maybe it wouldn't be so bad afterall and gave it a whirl.

She got her recipe from Ina Garten, but I just used her instructions so, I'll just link back there for now.

Orange Truffles
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
130g extra dark chocolate (70-75% cocoa), chopped
130g milk chocolate, chopped
1 c. heavy cream
1 Tbsp. orange blossom water
3 Tbsp. Cointreau
1 tsp. vanilla extract
cocoa, sifted (for dusting)

1. Heat cream just to boiling and pour over chocolate. Whisk until chocolate has all melted and you have a smooth ganache. (If chocolate needs a little help melting, place the bowl over a pot of hot/boiling water and continue whisking.)
2. Stir in orange blossom water, Cointreau, and vanilla.
3. Once everything is well-mixed, chill for an hour. (My ganache was still a bit too soft after an hour in the fridge so I actually ended up bunging it in the freezer for 15 mintues or so and that was perfect!)
4. Form into small balls and roll in sifted cocoa powder.
5. Place back in fridge to chill and firm up for another 15 minutes or so.

These are quite tasty. I'd be curious to see how they'd come out with 1-2 Tbsp. of orange juice in place of the floral water. I think they'd also be better rolled in something other than cocoa: I think toasted coconut would be really nice with the orange actually. Finely chopped glace orange might also work well.

There are also, of course, tonnes and tonnes of different flavour possibilities. I might just take a minute to jot some ideas down for next time to get them fixed in my mind.
Cherry Truffles - 3 Tbsp. pureed cherries, 2 Tbsp. kirsch, 1 tsp. almond extract; roll in chopped toasted almonds
Hazelnut Truffles - 3 Tbsp. Frangelico, 2 Tbsp. fresh-brewed coffee, 1 tsp. vanilla extract; roll in chopped toasted hazelnuts
Gingerbread Truffles - 1 Tbsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 Tbsp. molasses; roll in cinnamon sugar?
Grasshopper Truffles - 3 Tbsp. creme de menthe, 2 Tbsp. creme de cacao, 1 tsp. peppermint extract; roll in hot chocolate powder
Mocha Truffles - 3 Tbsp. fresh-brewed coffee/espresso, 2 Tbsp. creme de cacao, 1 tsp. vanilla extract; roll in hot cocolate powder or finely chopped chocolate-coated coffee beans
Peanut Butter Truffles - 1/4 c. peanut butter, 1 tsp. vanilla; roll in chopped toasted peanuts
Honey-Ginger Truffles - 3 Tbsp. honey-ginger tea syrup, 1 tsp. ground ginger; roll in finely chopped candied ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment