Wednesday 30 March 2016

Strawberry Pancakes

I had initially been planning on making either smoothies or porridge for breakfast this morning, but I was still in a pancake sort of mood, so I figured I'd do another batch of those instead. Plain pancakes seemed kind of boring though, so I decided to Google around for inclusion and flavour ideas. I made it as far as a Food Network slide show featuring "drool-worthy" pancakes. I had been planning on picking out one of those recipes to try this morning, but I didn't even get halfway through the list before Alex dragged me off. Before the laptop shut though, I did get a glimpse of "Strawberry-Granola Pancakes" and figured I could try something like that and just make it up as I went along.

Strawberry-Granola Pancakes
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. granola (I would've put more if I'd had any)
1 tsp. strawberry jam
1 tsp. apple jelly
5 frozen strawberries
1 1/4 c. milk
1 egg
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
vanilla yogurt

1. Combine flour, salt, 1 Tbsp. sugar, and baking powder. (I also added the granola, jam, and strawberry concoction at this point, but I think I'd change that around next time.)
2. I only had about a tsp. of strawberry jam left, so I improvised: Place strawberries, jelly, and 1 Tbsp. sugar in empty jam jar. Microwave for 1 minute. Cut/mash/break up strawberries.
3. Add milk, egg, and butter to dry ingredients.
4. Add granola, jam, and strawberry concoction (if you haven't already).
5. Cook over medium heat.
6. Serve with vanilla yogurt.

I was happy enough with this but, as is often the case with a new recipe, I'd make a few tweaks next time:

Strawberry-Vanilla Pancakes
1 c. flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. granola (optional)
1 Tbsp. strawberry jam
10 frozen strawberries
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. apple jelly
1 1/4 c. milk
1 egg
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
vanilla yogurt

1. Combine flours, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
2. Stir in milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
3. Microwave strawberries with jam, jelly, and brown sugar. Mash the strawberries around to break them up a bit.
4. Stir strawberry mixture and granola (if using) into batter.
5. Cook over medium heat.
6. Serve with vanilla yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment