Sunday 29 January 2023

Caraway Pork with Sauerkraut and Apples

This recipe was meant to be made with pork tenderloin. I didn't have any pork tenderloin, but I did have a cottage roll that I'd picked up on sale a while back. I figured that maybe if I left the salt out of this recipe and boiled the roll for a while first, I could get away with using it here.

My cottage roll was a little over 1.7kg and the recipe only wanted 900g of pork, so I ended up boiling it until it was cooked through and then cutting it in half and using half for this recipe and half for a boil-up type dinner the next night.

I'm really happy with how this came out. The apples were delicious. And TF really appreciated the generous quantity of caraway. Unfortunately the Kidlet wasn't a big fan of the apples. But we all liked the pork. And it went really well with some mashed potatoes.



Caraway Pork with Sauerkraut and Apples

Slightly adapted from Cook's Country October/November 2016

Ingredients

  • 2 pork tenderloins (~450g each)
  • 1 Tbsp. caraway seeds
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 2 Tbsp. oil or bacon grease, divided
  • 2-3 apples, halved, cored, and sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 450g sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill1

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 250°C (475°F).
  2. Pat pork dry and sprinkle with caraway seeds, salt, and pepper.
  3. Heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-high heat.
  4. Add the pork and cook until browned on all sides (5-6 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
  5. Add remaining oil, apples, and onion to pan and cook over medium heat for ~5 minutes.
  6. Add sauerkraut and sugar.
  7. Place pork on top of sauerkraut mixture.
  8. Bake at 250°C (475°F) until pork reaches an internal temperature of 60°C/140°F (10-15 minutes).
  9. Remove from oven, cover, and rest for 5 minutes.
  10. Slice pork and sprinkle sauerkraut mixture with dill.



1 I didn't have any fresh dill so I subsitituted 1 tsp. of lightly bruised dill seeds. I added them in with the sauerkraut instead of waiting until the end since I felt like that would give better flavour. If using the fresh herb, I would've added it at the end like the recipe says. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment