Tuesday 6 December 2022

Salsa Verde Baked Eggs

I've been in a breakfast rut lately. Usually dressing up some ramen with some extra veggies and protein is a good go-to breakfast for me when I don't know what else to have. But that hasn't been appealing to me lately. Yesterday I had some left over pork chop and brussels sprouts for brunch. Now we're all out of pork chops and I'm faced with the breakfast question again.

Initially I was thinking that maybe I'd just have some ramen anyway, even if it didn't appeal. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to take a few minutes staring at breakfast inspiration to see if anything sang to me. What this revealed was that I wanted a eggs and toast sort of breakfast. I thought about making a croque madame, but we didn't have either the gruyère or the ham. Then I stumbled across this salsa verde baked eggs recipe... I even had an unopened jar of salsa verde in the pantry! I'd gotten it just in case I my mole de olla ended up needing some extra tomatillos/sauce, but didn't end up needing it in the end.

This is an incredibly simple recipe: Just put some salsa verde in a pan and bake some eggs in it. Then top with cheese and veggies as you see fit and serve with a starch of your choice. I topped mine with Cheddar cheese and a sort of cabbage-carrot-radish salad that we had on hand and served it with toasted sourdough and it was delicious. I don't have salsa verde on hand that often, but I definitely want to keep this recipe in mind for when I do!



Salsa Verde Baked Eggs

Slightly adapted from The Modern Proper

Ingredients

  • 1 tsp. butter, oil, bacon grease, or lard
  • 1 c. salsa verde
  • 4 large eggs

Toppings & Accompaniments

Choose as many or as few as you'd like.
  • cheese: cotija, feta, Cheddar, and/or monterey jack
  • veggies: sliced radish, shredded cabbage, grated carrot, sliced avocado, corn, and/or shredded radicchio
  • other: lime wedges/lime juice and/or chopped fresh cilantro
  • starches: toast, corn tortillas, and/or flour tortillas

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) and grease a 25cm (10") pan with a fat of your choice. (I like using pork fat here, but follow your heart.)
  2. Pour the salsa verde into the greased pan.
  3. Crack one egg into each quadrant of the pan. Season with a little salt and pepper if you like, but I didn't find mine really needed it.
  4. Bake at 200°C (400°F) for 12-15 minutes1.
  5. While eggs are cooking, toast your bread and/or warm up some tortillas.
  6. Serve eggs on (or alongside) toast and/or tortillas and topped with cheese(s) and veggies of your choice.



1 I baked mine for the full 15 minutes because TF and I really can't stand undercooked egg whites. This turned out to be a bit too much though and left the yolks cooked hard. I think next time I'd try cooking them for only 12 minutes. Or possibly separate the whites and yolks so that they can be cooked for different amounts of time. I might try putting a white in each quadrant, baking for 3-5 minutes, and then adding a yolk on top of each white and baking for another 8-10 minutes or something. Not sure what the best timing would be, but it may be worth experimenting with. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment