Sunday 18 December 2022

German Apple Pancake

I've made Dutch babies before and I've always been really pleased with my results. Unfortunately, I've had less than stellar luck in the instances where I've tried to incorporate inclusions. So, when I saw this recipe for an apple-filled version, I knew I had to give it a try.



German Apple Pancake

Slightly adapted from Cook's Country August/September 2020

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar, divided
  • 105g all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 c. whole (3.25%) milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c. unsalted butter
  • 575g Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, halved, and sliced
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • icing (confectioners'/powdered) sugar, to serve

Directions

  1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
  2. Add 2 Tbsp. of the sugar to the sour cream and stir to combine. Set aside.
  3. Combine flour, salt, and 2 Tbsp. of brown sugar in a bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with milk and vanilla.
  5. Pour half the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until combined.
  6. Whisk in the remaining egg mixture and set aside.
  7. Melt the butter over medium heat.
  8. Add the apples, cinnamon, and remaining 1/4 c. of sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and glazed (8-10 minutes).
  9. Spread apples evenly across bottom of pan (making sure none are going up the sides).
  10. Pour batter into the pan and transfer to the oven.
  11. Bake at 220°C (425°F) for 18 minutes1.
  12. Cut into wedges, sprinkle with icing sugar, and serve topped with brown sugar sour cream.



1 I ended up reducing the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F) for the last 5 or 6 minutes of baking because I was starting to smell burnt sugar. I don't know how much of a difference this made, but I was happy with how my pancake came out so, I'm passon on the info here. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment