Wednesday 9 June 2021

Tamagodon (Egg Rice)

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a breakfast dish, but it involves eggs and rice, so I decided that it was going to be a breakfast dish for me.

I think I'd cut back on the water in the sauce next time. I found it a bit runny for my taste. It was good otherwise though. TF found it to be a bit on the sweet side, but I thought it was a nice mix of sweet and savoury. I'm not sure if the sugar content in this version is authentic to the usual Japanese preparation or if it's there as a result of adjusting the recipe to Korean palates. Either way, I quite liked it!

Photo goes here.

Tamagodon

Slightly adapted from Aaron & Claire

Ingredients

  • 1/2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 small onion, halved and sliced
  • 1/2 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. mirin
  • 1-3 Tbsp. water
  • pinch of bonito flakes (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. cooked rice
  • 1 green onion, sliced

Directions

  1. If you don't already have some cooked rice on hand, get it going now so that it's ready by the time the eggs are.
  2. Heat oil over medium-low heat.
  3. Add the onion and cook until softened and beginning to brown. Longer is better, but try for at least 5 minutes.
  4. Add sugar (if using), soy sauce, mirin, water, and bonito flakes (if using) and bring to a boil.
  5. Lightly mix the eggs. Do not beat or fully homogenize them. You want the yolks to be broken and a little muddled, but it should like white and yolk swirled together, not fulled combined.
  6. Pour the muddled eggs into the pan, cover, and cook until eggs reach desired doneness.
  7. Serve over hot rice and garnish with green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment