Tuesday 1 June 2021

Scallion-Ginger Salmon

My dinner plans fell through the other day, so I had to come up with an emergency back-up plan on short notice. Since Woks of Life is apparently my new favourite "cookbook", I turned to them for ideas. I was looking for something fish-y that would come together relatively quickly and easily and this salmon recipe seemed to fit the bill.

Sadly I didn't have any skin-on salmon to use for this. I'm not entirely sure it was even salmon; I think it might've been rainbow trout. Obviously this means I wasn't able to replicate the crispy skin component of the recipe, but I think it worked out well otherwise. And the Kidlet loved it!

Scallion-Ginger Salmon

Slightly adapted from Woks of Life

Ingredients

  • 1/4 c. oil, divided
  • 450g salmon filets, preferably with skin on
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 3 Tbsp. light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1/4 c. julienned ginger
  • 3 scallions, julienned
  • 1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions

  1. Place a heavy (preferably cast iron) pan over medium-high heat.
  2. Add 2 Tbsp. oil.
  3. Place salmon (skin-side down if skin-on) in the pan and cook for 4-7 minutes (depends on thickness of your filets).
  4. Flip and cook for another 4-7 minutes on the other side. Don't fuss with them, just let them brown.
  5. Meanwhile, combine the water, soy sauce, suar, and sesame oil and set aside.
  6. Once the salmon is cooked through, transfer it to a plate.
  7. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil to the pan.
  8. Add the ginger and fry until crisp.
  9. Add the scallions and fry until wilted.
  10. Stir in the sauce mixture and bring to a boil.
  11. Remove from heat.
  12. To serve, place salmon over rice and top with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment