Sunday 20 June 2021

Iç Pilavi ("Stuffed" Rice)

TF and I both like liver but, for me in particular, I get burnt out quickly. Liver and onions is great, but I only really want to eat it about once a year... if that. We have a few other liver dishes that we make occasionally: liver fried rice, Burmese curried liver, etc., but I'm always on the lookout for something new and tasty. This Turkish liver pilaf definitely fit the bill.

Apparently it's normally made with either chicken livers or lamb liver, but I figured that calf liver would also work pretty well. My version also has a lot more liver than it's technically meant to have. I put about double the normal quantity in. Mostly because I had it on hand in the freezer and have been looking for a good opportunity to use it up!

Personally, I quite enjoyed this dish, but I did find it a bit on the greasy side. I think next time I'd cut back on the ghee slightly. I'd also be inclined to add a few more currants. There were lots of nuts and liver, but the currants kind of got lost in the mix. I've updated the recipe to reflect these changes.

Aside from that, I think the only thing I'd change is serving it garnished with a few pomegranate arils. It's meant to be served with lemon wedges so that you can add a hit of tart lemon juice just before digging in. I liked the idea of adding something tart (especially since it helps cut through the grease a bit), but I felt like the pomegranate seeds made for an even better accent than the lemon juice. I think a small drizzle of pomegranate molasses might also work in a pinch, but fresh (or thawed frozen) arils seem best here.


Iç Pilavi

Slightly adapted from The Turkish Kitchen by Ghillie Başan

Ingredients

Pilaf

  • 1/4 c. dried currants
  • 2 Tbsp. ghee, divided
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 Tbsp. pine nuts
  • 3 Tbsp. slivered almonds
  • 1 tsp. allspice berries, ground
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 3/4 c. long-grain brown rice
  • 1 3/4 c. chicken or vegetable stock
  • 250-500g chicken, lamb, or calf liver, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 small bunch fresh dill, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Garnish

  • 1 Tbsp. pine nuts
  • extra dill
  • fresh pomegranate arils and/or lemon wedges

Directions

  1. Soak currants in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. Melt 1 Tbsp. of ghee over medium heat. (Sauté medium if using InstantPot.)
  3. Add onion and cook until softened.
  4. Add pine nuts and almonds and cook until nuts begin to turn golden-brown.
  5. Add drained currants, allspice, cinnamon, and rice and stir to combine.
  6. Add stock and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  7. If using InstantPot, seal and pressure cook on "high" for 20 minutes. If you are not doing this in an InstantPot, your cooking time (and the amount of liquid required) will be different.
  8. Meanwhile, melt the remaining 1 Tbsp. of ghee over medium heat.
  9. Add the liver and cook until browned, stirring/tossing occasionally.
  10. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  11. Once the cook cycle on the InstantPot has finished, allow for a 10-minute natural pressure release, then release the rest of the pressure manually.
  12. Fluff the rice and add the liver pieces to it.
  13. For the garnish: toast the pine nuts in a dry pan until golden-brown.
  14. Garnish pilaf with toasted pine nuts, extra dill, and fresh pomegranate arils and/or lemon wedges.
  15. Serve with a vegetable side, salad, and/or additional dishes of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment