Saturday 1 May 2021

Queen of Puddings

I've been itching to try making a queen of puddings for a couple years now. Ideally I'd been hoping to wait 'til I had some cake crumbs to use for it. I still didn't have cake crumbs for this baking, but I did have some frozen waffles and muffins! I still think cake crumbs would probably be better, but the muffins and waffles worked just fine.

Overall, this was a nice pudding, but quite bland. The custard itself didn't seem nearly sweet enough, especially next to the extremely sweet meringue. I suspect this is less of an issue when you use cake crumbs for the custard layer. Having a flavourful cake in the base would also likely give it a fuller flavour. If I were to do it with breadcrumbs again, I'd probably add more sugar and a bit of vanilla. I also think it could've used a lot more jam. The orginal recipe called for 3 Tbsp. of jam, I used 1/4 c. and that definitely seemed skimpy. I'd up it to 1/3 c. next time.


Queen of Puddings

Slightly adapted from Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 2 c. milk
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 c. soft/fresh breadcrumbs or cake crumbs
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 6-8 Tbsp. sugar, divided
  • 1 tsp. lemon zest
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/3 c. raspberry jam

Directions

  1. Heat milk and butter until nearly boiling, then remove from heat.
  2. Pour hot milk mixture over crumbs and set aside for 10 minutes.
  3. Grease a 6-cup casserole dish and preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  4. Add egg yolks to crumb mixture.
  5. Add up to 1/4 c. of sugar depending on how sweet your crumbs are and how sweet you'd like your custard.
  6. Pour custard mixture into prepared dish and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 25-30 minutes. (Custard should be just set.)
  7. Heat the jam until runny and easy to spread.
  8. Carefully spread the jam over the custard. Be careful not to break the skin.
  9. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
  10. Beat in 1/4 c. of sugar 1 Tbsp. at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form.
  11. Spread meringue on top of the jam. (Pipe it on if you want to be fancy.)
  12. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 10-15 minutes.
  13. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment