Sunday 17 January 2021

Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

I've never actually made a skillet cookie before. I have to admit, they don't normally appeal to me all that much. They're almost always chocolate chip and I usually prefer other cookie flavours. I was in the mood for dessert last night though and a skillet cookie sounded both easy and appealing.

I actually really like how this came out. It was rich and chewey and delicious without being too heavy on the chocolate. I think I'd probably do it in the 12" skillet next time rather than the 9". The original recipe calls for a 10" skillet, which I don't have. I figured that the 9" was pretty close and maybe I'd just bake it for a bit longer. I ended up baking it for TWICE the recommended amount of time! And even so, it was still a bit raw in the centre. I didn't really mind the rawness, but I probably should aim to have it actually fully baked next time. I'm hoping that putting it in a larger skillet will do the trick.


Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

Slightly adapted from Delish.com

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs1
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder2
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 c. chopped chocolate (dark and/or milk)
  • 1/3 c. cherries, quartered

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Cream butter with sugars.
  3. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
  4. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined.
  5. Mix in chocolate.
  6. Grease a 12" cast iron skillet and press dough into pan.
  7. Top with cherries.
  8. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 15-20 minutes.
  9. Serve with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and/or chocolate sauce.



1 The original recipe only called for one egg and that's what I used. That said, the dough seemed a bit drier than I'd normally want for chocolate chip cookies. The cookie came out fine in the end (rawness notwithstanding), but I'd like to try it with two eggs next time and see how it goes. Back
2 The original recipe called for 3/4 tsp. baking soda. I thought this was strange as there aren't really any acidic ingredients for the soda to react with. I used it, but I'd be interested to see if swapping in some baking powder in place of the soda makes a noticeable difference. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment