Saturday 16 January 2021

Frikandel Speciaal Poutine

I recently took a trip to the Dutch grocery store and picked up a package of frikandellen. I had no idea what they were, but I figured I could look it up and figure out how to serve them.

I discovered that they're normally deep fried and popularly served as frikandel speciaal which means topping them with mayo, curry ketchup, and finely chopped raw onion. I thought this sounded great. I wanted to serve it with mashed potatoes and some sort of vegetable dish. The vegetables weren't a problem, but we were fresh out of potatoes. In lieu of the mash, I decided to order some poutine and top it with all the frikandel speciaal fixings. This worked quite well. To the point that I'm contemplating sending the photos and instructions to the local poutine place as a suggestion to be added to their menu.

Frikandel special poutine, pictured here without the raw onion because I forgot to add it 'til after I'd taken the photo.

Frikandel Speciaal Poutine

Ingredients

  • 1 frikandel sausage
  • 1 order of poutine (fries + cheese curds + gravy)
  • 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Curry Ketchup
  • 2-3 Tbsp. finely chopped raw onion

Directions

  1. Pour 1-2cm of oil into a pan and preheat over medium-high heat.
  2. Slice the frikandel open lengthwise.
  3. Fry the frikandel, turning as necessary, so that it gets crispy all over.
  4. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel for a few minutes.
  5. Cut into bite-sized pieces and place on top of poutine.
  6. Top with mayo, curry ketchup, and raw onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment