Saturday 23 January 2021

Healthy-ish Skillet Cookie

I made a chocolate chunk skillet cookie last week. It was delicious and I quite enjoyed it. I liked the idea of making more skillet cookies in the future but I thought it'd be nice to make a healthier version. I figured I'd just search for "breakfast" skillet cookies and be all set. I wasn't able to turn up very many breakfast skillet cookie recipes though and the ones I did find didn't really appeal to me. They weren't quite what I wanted. Nor were any of the oatmeal cookie recipes I found. After wandering around the internet for a bit, I decided that I'd probably be best served by coming up with my own recipe.

This cookie definitely tastes healthier than the classic chocolate chunk version. I think it's still sweet and tasty enough to make for a pleasant dessert though. If I was in the mood for a slightly less indulgent dessert that didn't leave me wracked with guilt, this would be a good bet!


Healthy-ish Skillet Cookie

Ingredients

  • 1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. rolled oats
  • 1/4 c. ground flax
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 3/4 c. chopped chocolate (dark or milk)
  • 1/2 c. dried cranberries or cherries
  • 1/3 c. quartered cherries (or blueberries)
  • 1/4 c. slivered almonds

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a 12" cast iron skillet.
  2. Combine butter, banana, applesauce, sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix well.
  3. Without mixing, add flour, oats, flax, baking powder, baking soda, and salt on top.
  4. Stir until just combined.
  5. Stir in chocolate, fresh and dried berries, and almonds.
  6. Press dough into greased skillet and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment