Wednesday 29 July 2020

Sourdough Nut Butter Cookies

TF and I both agreed that these cookies came out a bit fluffier than we would've liked. I like my peanut butter cookies to be rich and a bit chewey, not light and fluffy. I do like that they're not too sweet though. And TM pointed out that they'd be excellent made with hazelnut butter in place of the peanut butter and a little chocolate ganache on top. I may have to give that a try next time!

Sourdough Nut Butter Cookies

Slightly adapted from Cultures for Health

Ingredients

  • 250g unfed (100% hydration) sourdough starter
  • 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 c. nut butter of choice
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 300g flour1
  • 1 tsp. baking powder2 (optional)
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 c. chocolate chips or chunks (optional)

Directions

  1. Combine starter, butter, sugar, nut butter, eggs, vanilla and mix thoroughly.
  2. Add flour, baking powder (if using), baking soda, and salt on top of wet ingredients and stir to combine.
  3. Stir in chocolate chips (if using).
  4. Form into balls and press flat with a fork dipped in granulated sugar.
  5. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 8-10 minutes.
  6. Once cooled, glaze with ganache if desired or enjoy them just as they are.



1 Type of flour is not super important here. I used a mix of hard and soft flour. I think next time I'll try adding a bit of whole wheat flour to the mix. Back
2 Omit baking powder for denser cookies. Include for fluffier cookies. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment